Sunday, June 1, 2008

Xulon Press, Zoolon Press - Devil in the Details and Misrepresentations from a Christian Publisher

I received this email comment below from Diana who read one of my articles about "Christian" publisher Xulon Press.

Diana writes:
Subject: PoDs

Paul, thanks for the article. It makes me feel a LITTLE better. I've only published one book through Xulon, and pledge that it will be my last. Having just fought a mini-battle, I swore to my husband that I'm done dealing with companies that claim to be "Christian" in hopes of reeling you in --- I now believe that this is only a ploy. Your article is pretty much on the mark. One of my complaints is the language presented when I decided to sign up for the "best seller" package.

They presented the following when I purchased the more expensive package, "We will promote your book at a host of other conferences and conventions, including the annual Book Expo America with Catalogs! You will have the opportunity to spotlight your book at each conference." (exact quote).

In the column where additional fees are stated, NONE are listed --- there was only a checkmark indicating that this service is included. A reasonable person would buy this package believing their book would be represented at the convention... however, UNLESS you are willing to pay an ADDITIONAL $149, this is not true. Your book will only be represented in a catalog (and who knows where that will be, under the table??).

In the end, it didn't matter, because my concerns were not addressed in a timely enough manner to take advantage of the program --- the rep curtly emailed me stating that all the spots "were taken."

Other issues I encountered included:

1) not having my book posted on their online store until I called to complain about it not being there (over 1 mth after it was completed)

2) press release accompanied by an excel dump (with over 1,000 listings -- many out of date, most just simply websites, but no email addresses) requiring that you notify organizations yourself.

3) Spacing format throughout my book was not consistant.

4) High author prices for book purchases...#100 copies of a 200 page book cost me approx 75% more than another very reputable POD.

They did however deliver a good cover and had the book put on several online bookstores -- but stated to me that they only guarantee 4 websites: Amazon.com, Borders.com, Amazon.co.uk ( United Kingdom ), and Btol.com. However, I've heard a rummor that Amazon might disable the buy button for PODs -- if this happens, I'm not certain of the value of the Amazon listing.

Paul F Davis - worldwide minister, author, and book consultant & publicist

http://www.PaulFDavis.com

RevivingNations@yahoo.com

Paul F. Davis is a world-changing leadership & diversity speaker who has touched over 50 countries & 6 continents building bridges cross-culturally and empowering people throughout the earth to live their dreams!

Paul is the author of 14 books. Paul has appeared on numerous internationally broadcast radio shows from Oprah & Friends to Fox News Radio to talk about conflict resolution, peacemaking, foreign policy, and diplomacy. Playboy Radio host Tiffany Granath calls Paul an "awesome" relational coach and recommends his books on love, dating, and sexuality.

Academically outstanding Davis was trained in transformative mediation & conflict resolution (Hofstra Law School); strategic negotiations (Harvard Business School & U. of Washington); advanced interrogation (Reid & Associates founders of the polygraph); and NLP & Life Coaching (NLP & Coaching Institute of California).

Paul humorously and elegantly transforms individuals and organizations.

Paul's organization Dream-Maker Inc. builds dreams, transcends limitations, & reconciles nations.

Paul worked at Ground Zero in NYC during 9/11; helped rebuild a home at the tsunami epicenter; comforted victims of genocide in Rwanda; spoke to leaders in East Timor during the war; inspired students & monks in Myanmar; promoted peace & reconciliation in Pakistan; and has been so deep into the bush of rural Africa where villagers had never before seen a white man.

Paul empowers people to love passionately and live fearlessly.

http://www.PaulFDavis.com

No comments: